People all over the world living with dementia experience its debilitating effects, yet many overlook or misconstrue this serious condition. To help us gain a better understanding of what those affected by dementia are up against daily, here are five important facts about it you may not know. From how it is caused to its psychological ramifications – these facts will provide insight into who and why people suffer from dementia so we can render them our utmost compassion and support.
1. Dementia is not just a single disorder, but instead, an array of signs and symptoms brought about by various maladies that have similar qualities. Alzheimer’s Disease, vascular dementia, Lewy Body dementia, and frontotemporal dementia are only some of the conditions which can cause this disease.
2. Memory loss isn’t always the sole symptom of dementia. A decline in cognitive abilities including reasoning and problem-solving can also occur. Even if memory remains intact, this progressive condition may still be present.
3. Depression is a prevalent – and often neglected – issue among those with dementia, affecting up to 40% of individuals. We must recognize the warning signs so our loved ones can receive prompt care.
4. Keeping active is fundamental in managing dementia. Regular exercise can not only improve cognitive function but also delay its progression and provide lasting benefits.
5. Though dementia can be a terminal illness, individuals living with the condition are still able to lead satisfying lives. With adequate care and assistance, these people may relish in social outings or engage in their favorite hobbies as before. We must remember this — even though dementia progresses over time, it should not hinder joyful moments for those affected by it.
Dementia is a devastating condition that affects millions of people around the world.
How Avanti Senior Living at Towne Lake Helps Residents with Dementia
By understanding more about dementia, we can better provide care for those living with it. This is where Avanti Senior Living at Towne Lake comes in. Our devoted team of caregivers is highly trained to give the highest level of care to those living with dementia. We are passionate about our atmosphere that promotes graceful aging, and we believe wholeheartedly that everyone deserves kindhearted support. Especially when it comes to individuals struggling with Alzheimer’s disease, our staff will go above and beyond so they can keep participating in their favorite activities!
If you require additional information or support, please reach out to Avanti Senior Living at Towne Lake and/or your local Alzheimer’s Association. By uniting together, we can bring forth meaningful change in the lives of individuals struggling with dementia.